Monday 20 September 2010

Personal Skills Review

How has your creativity developed through using digital technology to complete your coursework productions?

As we have learnt from last years course that the media is becoming more and more proliferated amongst our society, enabling virtually anyone to become a media producer. The use of these new media technologies; such as Web 2.0, editing software and hand held, digital filming equipment, as Media students, were and still are vital and a key elements in both creating and editing productions and media texts as well as publishing and reviewing them.

My creativity was able to be more widely shown and expressed through the use of a small handheld camera (with the option of a tripod) which was provided as part of the course by the college. This small but yet still professional piece of equipment meant that as a group we had no limits on where the scenes from our film could be shot, as the equipment was light and easy to carry and this therefore improved our creativity as a group as we were not held back by ideas that required unusual or difficult to reach locations. The preliminary and Main exercise also gave me more confidence in using a camera and also in using the editing software; Windows Movie Maker and Premier Pro, meaning that as my confidence built I was more willing to be experimental with camera shots and more complicated camera movements such as tilts and pans, which require a smooth hand movement to keep the shot looking professional. I also became more experimental with the tools on the editing programs, as I gained more skills in this area, enabling a tighter and more professional edit.

With the easy and fast access to the Internet at both college and home, I was also able to distribute my finished product easily as Web 2.0 enabled me to compress my preliminary and main exercise into a small file that could be uploaded onto the Internet on sites such as YouTube and therefore enabled me to embed my films in Blogger and other websites, giving my target audience as well as all Internet users easy access to my productions. Due to the fact that all work is also produced digitally and via an Internet blog, this has also enhanced my computer skills and enabled me to be more creative in my presentation and production. This also makes evaluation and feedback commenting more productive and easier, as sites such as YouTube and Blogger enable other users to leave comments and posts, saying what they feel or think about your post or production, meaning the learning process is therefore even more advance and enabling you to receive more widespread feedback.

Give 5 detailed examples of a paper based/ research skill acquired/ developed for your AS Coursework that will directly be used in your A2 coursework:


  • In terms of Internet research, looking at film trailers, information and synopsis' online, there is a lot of information on the Internet, however finding specifically related subjects, articles and websites that are related to your subject can be a problem. i found this out during the AS coursework, as well as from my wider knowledge as a regular Internet user. Through getting acquainted with Google Advanced, enabling you to enter specific details about the subject you are searching for, as well as being able to select things to automatically discard, this search engine makes the research process a lot faster and easier to do as well as making the subject matter found a lot more relevant and richer in information. I will definitely be using Google Advance Search for my A2 coursework as the research will need to be even more thorough and relevant to the subject matter of my own production to gain a higher mark.
  • I have also found that the Library's magazine and book articles are also just as important when looking at research as they are usually more trustworthy than Internet information as they are from a published writer, whereas literally anyone can post information on the Internet. I intend to use the library a lot more in my A2 coursework as i mainly relied on Internet research for my AS coursework, however i feel that book and magazine research will help my production skills and also improve the quality of my work.
  • I have improved my skills in paperwork production such as script writing and storyboard production. Before AS i had previously done media studies at GCSE and therefore has some knowledge of script and story board production which gave me confidence when it came to the preliminary exercise at AS Media and so i took control of these areas and applied the knowledge from GCSE with the knowledge from AS Media to create a detailed and well thought out storyboard. This skill will therefore help me a lot in my A2 Coursework as i am familiar with story board writing and now have a lot of knowledge in the terminology and the correct way it should look.
  • My note taking during lectures has also helped me enormously with my production skills as well as my terminology and knowledge of the subject, which in turn has enabled me to produce a more relevant final piece as my understanding of genre, audience, narrative and stereotyping has grown and flourished throughout the AS coursework. I have kept all my notes from last year and will be using them as well as the knew knowledge from A2 to help me when thinking about my research, planning, production and evaluation to ensure i produce work of a high standard that fits into the Media industry in the contemporary UK.
  • Finally i have found YouTube, the online video blogging website a key element in my research, giving me instant access to film trailers and information, as well as world wide users thoughts and comments on these trailers, enabling me to widen my knowledge about what society thinks works in terms of codes and conventions of relative genres first hand. This has enabled my research to be more valid and therefore enabled me to create more relevant productions in relation to genre and audience.

Give 5 detailed examples of a practical skill acquired/ developed for your AS coursework that will directly be used in your A2 coursework:

From the knowledge that has been taught during lectures; such as correct terminology, stereotyping, relativity to genre, narrative, structures and layouts for both paperwork and practical work, i have been able to put all of this into practise in my AS coursework productions;

  • I have become more confident with the filming equipment and therefore more aware of the movement within the frame and the Mise en Scene created, thinking about positioning of characters as well as props, background, setting and lighting. I have also become a lot more aware of contextual aspects, ensuring that the shots flow and make sense as well as being relatable by the audience and keeping to the selected genre.
  • I have also become a lot more experimental with the editing software's; Windows Movie maker and Premier Pro. As i had previously only used Windows Movie Maker, Premier Pro was a completely new experience and i found it to be a much more professional software that gave a wider variety of options for editing and adding in titles and credits.
  • I have developed my skills in essay writing through the use of theory and terminology and keeping to a structure which enables i include every aspect of analysis and evaluation; Mise en Scene, Camera Movement and Angle, Editing and Sound. This skill will be good for my A2 coursework as well as exam's as i have an understanding of what the examiner is looking for and how to set out my answers.
  • I have also developed my skills and knowledge of stereotyping and character building, during the lectures and as well as during my own productions and filming. I have learnt the importance of props, clothes, music and general image when creating a film to ensure that the audience understand the character and gain the right impression through the image that you portray. This knowledge will be key when creating my own productions for the A2 coursework this year.
  • Finally my Internet and distribution of products skills are a lot wider, mainly due to the fact that all paperwork and production material is posted and externally marked online. This has increased my computer skills dramatically and with the use of Web 2.0 i have been able to compress my finished productions for AS and post them onto video blogging sites such as YouTube and embed them in websites, including my blog. This also has meant that my productions are easily accessible from home and college, making it easier to work on and tweak. They are also easily accessible to all Internet users and therefore proves that in the modern media society, anyone can become a media producer.

Give 3 clear discussions of how theoretical perspectives studied will directly influence your Advanced Production:

During the AS coursework, when analysing existing productions from the genre of drama we looked at Camera work, Editing, Sound and Mise en Scene during evaluating and analysis. During A2 we will again be looking at these aspects but also bringing in theorists and contemporary ideas and movements within genres to explain how they have changed and adapted. We also looked very closely at Genre, Audience, Stereotyping and Narrative:

  • Genre is vital when creating a media text as each genre, for example; drama, horror, comedy etc, have their own codes and conventions and 'typical' way of doing things. Some producers will challenge these codes and conventions to either stray away from the genre or to try and make it broader and to keep their prodcutions contemporary and fresh. Genre can be distinguished usually from the title and within the first 2 minute opening scene of the film. Genre therefore alsom effects audience.
  • Audience is directly linked to Genre; as each Genre will have its own target audience that will be interested in watching the film. This target audience should be able to distinguish from the trailer the genre of the film and immediately know whether it would appeal to them. The producers therefore stick to these codes and conventions, ultimately to keep the target audience as wide as possible to maximise profit. They will also do this to make sure that the film is relatable to by the target audience, as if they dont understand the stereotyping or the plot and narrative of the film, then the film will not be succesful.
  • Narrative and Stereotyping within films is also vital. The narrative must be simple and flow smoothly and be clearly distinguishable and understandable by most audiences, specifically the target audience however. The plot must build up to a complicating action and then be resolved in some way or another to make a good film. The stereotypes of the characters used within the films are also vital in character establishment and relatability of these characters by the audience. For example the 'bad guys' or criminals may be represented as young, male, chavs, wearing hoodies as the ideology within the media has a lot of negative press around young, financially disadvantaged men being assocaited with criminal activity including knife and gang crime, whereas this is obviously not the case of every male in this situation, however a stereotype like this one is good for the world of media as it allows characters to be easiyl and quickly established, as in general most people will form the same opinion and assumption about a character (that the producer wants them to form) based on appearance and stereotype used, enabling a wide audience to follow and understand the plot and the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment